Things you need to know about your massage
Your First Massage
This may or may not be a time where you feel awkward. Not because you’re getting a professional massage, but because you don’t know what to expect or what to do.
By removing most of your clothing, We are able to massage all of your back and shoulders without any difficulties. Chains and necklaces should also be taken off to avoid having them tangled with the therapist hands or in the client’s hair.
Communication is the key to an exceptional massage. The more you and the therapist communicate the better they can understand you needs and customize your massage.
General Things to Know
If you know of a therapist who you like, stick with them. The more your therapist see’s you, the more they will learn about your body and how to help you
If you have a lotion or oil that you like, bring it in and we’ll use it instead of ours. Also remember that aroma therapy can bring your session to a different level
With music the same rule applies. If it’s something that you like and helps you relax, bring it in. Just as long as it’s not offensive. By having something in the background that helps your mind to calm down you will reach that state of peace and relaxation quicker. The more relaxed you are the more you’ll get out of your massage
Some therapists have different techniques that may appeal to you. Perhaps you have a favorite area, like your feet or hands that you want more time spent on. Whatever it may be don’t forget to request it. If you don’t want an area massaged or don’t like a technique let your therapist know.
Instances where massage is not recommended
As massage therapists we come across many contraindications, which are conditions where a massage cannot be performed. Some contraindications may lead to severe injuries, make a condition worst, or even result in death.
One of the most common would have to be in the instance of a pregnant client who’s comes in for a pregnancy massage before entering into their 2nd trimester (12 weeks). The reason a massage can’t be performed before the 2nd trimester is because massage releases toxins and metabolic wastes. The body may confuse the baby with the wastes and cause a miscarriage. Any time on or after the 2nd trimester (12 weeks) a massage can be performed.
Minors and Massage
According to North Carolina law, all minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian in the massage room. All minors 16 to 18 must have parental consent.
Benefits of Massage
Massage therapy addresses a variety of heath conditions, the most prevalent being stress related tension, which experts believe accounts for 80% - 90% of disease.
Massage has been proven beneficial in treating sleep disorders, high blood pressure, diabetes, low back pain, Immunity suppression, spinal Injury, autism, post-operative surgery, age related disorders, eating disorders, and depression. Here’s why:
- Increases circulation, allowing the body to pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs
- Stimulates the lymph system, the body's natural defense against toxic invaders. For example, in breast cancer patients, massage therapy has been shown to increase the cells that fight cancer.
- Relaxes and softens injured over used muscles
- Reduces spasms, cramping and increases joint flexibility
- Reduces recovery time for strenuous workouts and eliminating subsequent pain of the athlete at any level
- Releases endorphins which are the body’s natural painkiller. For this reason massage has been incorporated into treatments for chronic illness, injury and recovery from surgery to control and relieve pain
- Reduces post-surgery adhesions and edema and reducing scar tissue after healing has occurred.
- Improving range of motion and deceasing discomfort for client’s with low back pains
- Relieves pain for migraine in sufferers and decreases the need for medication
- Provides exercise and stretching for atrophied muscles and reduces shortening of the muscles for those with restricted range of motion
- Contributes to shorter labor and reduced tearing for expectant mothers, as well as lessening the need for medication, minimizing depression, anxiety and shortening hospital stays